“Comment, question or quotation of the day”
16-05-2018 : Quote of the day
“Cash is Truth”
15-05-2018 : Question from a reader
WeWork's high yield debt has lost 5% in one week.
If Entreprise Value = Value of Debt + Value of Equity and if Debt Value decreases ...:
- either Entreprise Value decreases too, and the equity value decreases.
- but if Entreprise Value remains stable, does this mean that the equity value is increasing?
There is something that I don’t understand ...
There are only 3 possible reasons for the decrease in the value of a company's debt:
- Either interest rates in the economy jumped sharply.
- Either the shareholders have made decisions which despoil the interests of lenders, such as paying a massive dividend that significantly weakens the solvency of the company.
- Or, and this is by far the most frequent case so much the second is unlikely in our time and in our far-off lands of the Far West of the 19th century: investors have revised downward their expectations of free cash flows generated by the company, for example following a result publication, and they think that the value of the entreprise value has decreased as a result. In this case, the equity value will have fallen even further, since equity is riskier than debt.
Have a nice day
The Vernimmen.com glossary provides definitions for a couple of thousands of financial, stock market or economic terms.
This financial dictionary allows beginners to progress in their learning of finance and to experts to cease the precise meaning of a sentence.
The Vernimmen.com Quiz offers over 300 questions with answers to progress in your understanding of finance and to test your knowledge.
Questions are sorted by key topics (financial analysis, investment and stock markets, value, financial engineering and financial management).
We frequently ask our readers to give us their point of view on a specific topic.
You will find here the current survey with the to-date status of answers as well as past polls.
Thanks to our partner Infinancial, we can offer on this page financial data on over 16 000 groups around the world.
Updated several times a year, this database offers information sometimes hard to find elsewhere (beta, …)
The Vernimmen.com Letter
Number 113 of May 2018
News : Would L'Oréal be right to acquire Nestlé's stake in its share capital?
Statistics : Worldwide corporate income tax rates
Research : Maturity and the cost of bank loans
Q&A : What are financial synergies?
COMMENTS : COMMENTS